Friday, January 20, 2012

Update on the latest IVF cycle

Morning:
This month's cycle so far has been more successful.  A few days ago, they measured five follicles.  Two days ago, they measured seven follicles with the following sizes: 9.3, 10.4, 10.8, 12 ,12.1,13, 16.1.  My E2 number was good at 1182, over doubling in two days, as it should be.  This morning I went back in for monitoring and some of my follicles have grown.  Two are questionable in growth, but the rest look good, growing the expect 1 to 3mm per day. The numbers are 10.2, 10.6, 13.5, 14.2, 15.7, 17.5, 18.5.  At first, they thought I would trigger on Thursday for a retrieval on Saturday. Then it was pushed back a day.  Yesterday, they thought it would be pushed back to trigger on Sunday with a retrieval on Tuesday.  Today they think I might trigger tomorrow.  In general, any follicle larger than 14mm is supposed to have a mature egg.  In IVF, triggers are usually given once the follicles reach about 18mm.

This whole thing is a big pain in the neck in terms of trying to schedule work around days that keep changing.  However, I am so pleased that the follicles are growing and that we have some more than we did during the last cycle.  Hopefully this will allow us more choice in selecting the viable embryos for implantation.  I go back again tomorrow (third day in a row of sonogram and bloodwork) for more monitoring.

Afternoon:
I just received a call from my nurse.  It looks like I will need a few more days of stimulants.  Yuck.  Also, my estrogen went down today to 1,010.  I don't know what that means.  As I do the ridiculous and stupid search on Google (an action that should really be illegal for all those going through any medical procedure), I am finding that a drop in E2 means that the eggs are likely of poor quality and the IVF cycle will likely be cancelled.  Of course, I found just as many depressing articles during my last IVF cycle when I only had two eggs, and I ended up with a successful cyle.  I know I should stay positive. I know I should stay off Google.  This is the time to use positive visualization and stress reduction techniques.  I am not quite there. Hopefully I will be soon.  For now, I am just sad.  Once again, I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me.  I am emotionally tired of this process.  The unknown and ups and downs is wearing on my positivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment