Sunday, January 22, 2012

Trigger Day for IVF

Yesterday during my monitoring appointment,  I was told that I would likely have to administer my trigger shot last night because four of the follicles were fully mature.  My follicle sizes yesterday were 12, 12.2, 13.8, 18, 20.4, 21.4, 22.9.  I am not sure how much stock to take in these sizes because that seems like a lot of growth in a few of the follicles and it was a different sonogram technician.

I returned from my monitoring appointment to find my new medications had been delivered.  These medications had been ordered less than twenty-four hours before because I was told that I would likely have to be on stimulants for several more days.  Thank goodness my insurance covers most of the cost of those medications.  I was annoyed that I spent $80 on medicine I wouldn't need; however, I am so thankful that I don't have to spend the thousands of dollars some people have to spend. 

I waited all day to hear from the doctor's office yesterday.  When I didn't hear by 4pm, I was sure that I would be triggering that night and I was just waiting for the scheduling nurse to call me.  Sure enough, I got the call around 5pm.  We would told to administer the trigger shot at 4am.  BLECH!

I woke up every fifteen to twenty minutes from 1am until we finally administered the shot at 4am.  I was overly paranoid about sleeping through the trigger time and wasting an entire cycle.  At 3:50am, I finally got up and mixed my medicine, 10,000 units of Novadrel.  The needle of the trigger shot is pretty impressive.  Luckily, it doesn't hurt-but that sucker looks like it could pierce straight through to the other side. Once in college I wanted to nail something on my closet door and used a nail that was too big.  As a result, the sharp point of the nail poked through the inside of the door and caught my hand every time I tried to get something from the closet.  As I looked at the needle, I had the same visual of the point popping out of the front of my stomach. My husband stumbled out of bed, quickly looked over the directions to make sure he didn't miss anything, and asked me to bend over.  In seconds, the needle was in my "hindquarters" (a term that really should be reserved for horses and pigs).  It seemed like it took forever for the medicine to go in.  I felt the needle come out and then I heard, "Oh shit," and felt my husband wiping my backside with the alcohol wipe he had just used to clean the area.  "Whatcha doin' back there," I asked.  He told me that I was bleeding.  We forgot to get the gauze ready before the shot, in case there was bleeding.  Trying to seem calm, I asked him if he had checked to make sure he didn't hit a vein before administering the shot-I don't know why, but this seemed very important to the nurse teaching our injection class.  He assured me he had.  "Alright, well get that alcohol away from the bleeding-that crap burns...and if I die in the middle of the night, be sure to tell them it's because of this stupid shot."   With that, I crawled back in bed and my husband stared at me in disbelief.  "You are going to go back to bed now and I am going to have to sit up and worry about you all night."  What can I say, sleeping has always been a real gift of mine.  I am pretty sure I could win the Olympics if they had a sleeping heat...unless of course, my father was also in the Olympics. In that case, I would have to take the silver medal.

This morning, I am still alive (I didn't really think I wouldn't be-I was more or less just toying with my husband).  Thank goodness today is the playoffs and I get to go to a Ravens Playoff party.  I am planning on eating until they roll me out. I can't eat tomorrow and so I am planning on making up for it today.  I might even pull out my old maternity pants just to make sure that I eliminate all obstacles.
Tonight I have to take the antibiotic that makes me feel like crap.  Tomorrow I won't be able to eat after 9, and only water until 12, and then nothing.   I have to be in the office at 2:30pm for a 4pm egg retrieval.  Here's to hoping it all goes well....if not, at least I will have had a heck of a meal today!

No comments:

Post a Comment